National Insurance numbers
Most people who work in the
Applying for a National Insurance number
To apply for an NI number, you usually need to complete an application form, attend a face-to-face appointment and provide evidence of who you are and why you want to apply for a National Insurance number. You will be required to bring your passport as proof of identity.
Booking an appointment
You can book an appointment by:
· contacting your local National Insurance Number Office (either in
· calling the National Insurance Helpline on 0845 600 0643
If you book an appointment via e-mail, be sure to provide your full name, date of birth, address and contact telephone number.
To book an appointment, either e-mail: email@example.com or call into Camden JobCentre Plus (just next door) for an appointment. They recommend that you travel with all of your documents, as you may be seen at short notice on the same day.
Tooting NINO Office:
Documents you may need to take to your appointment
Full details regarding documents will be supplied when you receive confirmation of your appointment, but documents usually required can include:
· Passport or biometric ID card, national identity card, residence or naturalisation documents, adoption certificate
· letter from college or university with full details of course,
· mortgage or rental agreement,
· Payslips, work permit, a letter from your employer, contract of employment, details of any employment agencies registered with, evidence of actively looking for work